1. COLOR: Yellow (includes Blonde - Golden - Reddish), often
with white points (white on toes, feet, chest, muzzle, forehead).
2. HEAD: Dome flat, wide between eyes, heavy muzzle, medium
ears set high with control, eyes preferred dark, prominent, and expressive.
Neck strong and muscular.
3. BODY: Deep chested, back straight and strong, coat smooth or rough
with a soft fine undercoat.
4. TAIL: Natural bob or docked leaving enough
tail to have a handle when grown, about 5-6 inches.
5. FEET: Cat paw type, strong and well muscled, set for speed. No
dew-claws on hind feet. Pups born with them should not be used for breeding.
6. LEGS: Straight, muscular, set for speed.
7. VOICE: Semi-open trailing preferred on big game and coon. Silent
trailing preferred on squirrel, with a good clear tree bark that can be
heard a long distance.
8. HEIGHT: Males at shoulders: 20-26 inches, average being 23 inches.
Females at shoulders: 18-24 inches, average being 21 inches.
9. WEIGHT: In proportion to height and body structure. Not over 60
pounds and not under 30 pounds in hunting condition. Males being heavier
than the females. Ideal weight average being 45 pounds.
10. CHARACTERISTICS: Strong treeing and hunting instinct, cold nose
for winding ability but will swing out with head held high and drift or
cut a track in an effort to catch the game and will tree game that has
left no trail. Easily discouraged from unwanted game. Courageous fighters
on dangerous game, but not aggressive toward other dogs or family members and have the sense to know when there is trouble or not.
They MUST have a strong desire to please their master. When bred to like
they will produce a high percentage of “Natural” tree dogs.
MVCA now allows the following
types of Certification for the Mountain View Cur Breed;
1. Certified Tree Dog (CTD)
|2. Certified Decoy Dog (CDD)||4. Drug Dog Certified (DDC)|
|3. Search/Rescue Certified (SRC)||5. Bomb Dog Certified (BDC)|
These are all recognized IPDBA
titles and all MVC's MUST have at least ONE or more Certifications, to
be permanently registered and used for breeding.
The Mountain View Cur Standard may be amended
by the MVCA Breed Advisors and with notification to IPDBA Registry .